10 Signs You Need to Hire a New Injury Lawyer
Unsure about your current legal representation?
When you hire a personal injury attorney, you want a legal professional who knows how to handle your case and can provide legal counsel in a caring and compassionate manner. Not only that, but you want a lawyer who has the experience and legal knowledge to back up their promises to you. When a legal advocate starts to make unrealistic promises and guarantees you compensation, a red flag should go up immediately. Unfortunately, many lawyers have been known to be dishonest with clients, creating a rift between the attorney-client relationship. If you are experiencing something similar, it may be time to change attorneys.
Notice these signs? It may be time for a switch!
Just because you notice a small issue with your legal advocate does not mean that you should head for the door. Normally, there are several factors that exposure a lawyer as the wrong fit. It may not even mean that your attorney is a bad legal professional, just that they are not capable of handling your specific case.
Read through the warning signs listed below to get an idea of what to look for:
- Poor communication. One of the most important aspects of a client-attorney relationship is communication. When your attorney fails to communicate with you in an effective manner, it can weaken your case and cause frustration along the way.
- Inexcusable behavior or crassness. If you are annoyed with the rude or crass behavior your lawyer engages in, you do not have to put up with it. As a legal professional, your attorney should treat you in a respectful and caring manner.
- Lack of personal support and representation. When you call the office, the staff and other lawyers should know who you are and at least some details of your case. If the firm is too big or doesn't care enough about your case, it could get lost in stacks of other claims.
- Unanswered and unreturned phone calls. If you continue to leave messages or call your attorney with questions, yet can't seem to get them to pick up or respond, there may be a problem. You need an attorney who is willing and ready to communicate with you.
- You remain uninformed on what is going on with your case. Do you know the details of your case? Are you unsure of what phase your claim is in? Your attorney should be keeping you informed every step of the way.
- A new person answers the phone every time. If a new staff member is answering the phone every time you call, it may suggest a high turnover rate, also indicating a poor work environment.
- No response to your important emails. Again, if a lawyer fails to communicate through phone or email, it is a serious warning sign that they either don't care or are too busy to dedicate enough time to your case.
- Firm advertises "cheap" or discounted legal services. While it is never bad to work with a firm that offers affordable and reasonable legal services, those that advertise discounted or cheap fees may be fishing for more work. That often indicates a lack of respect for the legal community and poor reputation.
- The State Bar of California has had to discipline the firm. You should always check on an attorney's background and his/her standing at the bar before hiring them. If they have been disciplined by the State Bar of California, it may be hard to trust them in the future.
- Numerous negative reviews on social media. We live in an age of social media and online reviews. Though some can be vengeful or full of false critiques, many are from honest people who have had a bad experience with a lawyer. If you notice a bad standing on numerous review-based sites, it may be time to move on.
It is not too late to find the right legal representative for your case! Give our Pasadena firm a call today to schedule a consultation.